Regional Maritime University (RMU)
The Regional Maritime University (RMU), is an international tertiary institution and private university in Accra, Ghana. RMU attained full University status on 25 October 2007 and was launched as such by John Agyekum Kufuor, former President of the Republic of Ghana. It was first called Regional Maritime Academy.
The RMU occupies the premises of the old Ghana Nautical College which was established in 1958 to train ratings for the erstwhile State Shipping Corporation (Black Star Line). On 1stOctober, 1982, the Government of Ghana promulgated the Regional Maritime Law 1982 which was followed by the signing of the instrument of transfer, handing over the College to the then Ministerial Conference of West and Central African States on Maritime Transport (MINCONMAR), now known as Maritime Organization of West and Central Africa (MOWCA), which negotiated for its regionalization. The College was then re-named The Regional Maritime Academy (R.M.A.). The formal inauguration of the R.M.A. took place on Thursday 26th May, 1983 with the following countries as founding members: Republics of Cameroon, The Gambia, Ghana, Liberia and Sierra Leone.
The overall objective for the establishment of RMA was to promote regional co-operation in the maritime industry focusing on the training to ensure the sustained growth and development of the industry. The RMU also maintains the same overall objective.
Within the next decade, the Regional Maritime University (RMU) will be known and recognized as the tertiary institution of first choice in advanced maritime education and training, research and consultancy in Africa and beyond”.
A sub-regional tertiary institution that exist to enhance the development of the maritime transport sector and the fishing industry in member states through the maritime education of students, training of marine personnel, research and consultancy and promotion of maritime co-operation. The hallmarks of its operations are meeting international standards, teamwork, discipline and professional integrity
The objectives of the University are as follows:
- To develop a comprehensive and liberal programme of maritime education and training to match modern technological innovations associated with shipboard operations and the fishing industry;
- To prepare sea-going officers to assume higher responsibilities on merchant ships and fishing vessels;
- To provide adequate training facilities with a view to promoting the administrative, managerial, operational and technical skills of shore-based shipping and ports personnel;
- To promote maritime co-operation and full participation among Member States;
- To perform any other functions which are incidental to the objects of the University.
Courses offered(21 courses)
- Diploma in Port and Shipping Management(Port and Shipping Management)
- Bachelor of Science in Logistics Management(Logistics Management)
- Bachelor of Science in Marine Engineering(Marine Engineering)
- Master of Arts in Ports and Shipping Administration(Administration )
- BSc. Marine Engineering(Marine Engineering)
- BSc. Marine Electrical and Electronics Engineering(Electrical and Electronics)
- BSc. Nautical Science(Nautical Science)
- Bachelor of Science in Computer Engineering(Computer Engineering)
- BSc. Ports and Shipping Administration(Shipping Administration)
- Higher Diploma in Port and Shipping Management(Management)
- Maritime Management( )
- Diploma in Petroleum Engineering(Petroleum Engineering)
- Certificate in Petroleum Engineering(Petroleum Engineering)
- Bsc in Electrical Management and Administration(Electrical Management )
- Higher National Diploma in Electric Management and Administration(Electric Management)
- Certificate in Oil Refinery Operations (Oil Refinery Operations )
- Bsc ports and shipping Administration(Ports and shipping Administration)
- Bsc Logistics Management(Logistics management)
- Bsc Marine Electrical and Marine Engineering(Electrical and Marine Engineering)
- Bsc Nautical Science(Bsc Nautical Science)
Regional Maritime University
Address: P.O. GP 1115, Accra
Telephone Number: 233 21 712343/712775/715180/717707
Email Address: email@example.com
University Website: http://www.rmu.edu.gh