KNUST CWA

KNUST logo

KNUST CWA

GRADING SYSTEM OF KNUST

Let me introduce you to this system. The CWA (cumulative weighted Average). This is the system that Knust uses to test its students, to grade them and at the end of the day, some are tipped first class, second-class upper, second-class lower or pass. If this is what will determine your faith in school then you should know this system so well so that you know how to go your way around it.

Right now that you are in first year first semester, each student have a CWA of 100.00 but as soon as you start class, as soon as your lecturers start to give you quizzes, mid-semesters, and you writes you end of semester 1 examination, you determines your faith by your scores. Generally, your examination covers just 70% and quizzes, mid semester examination, practicals, assignments, research, punctuality, group works and other once based on the course and the lecturer’s own discretion of how he/she wants to access you on the course sum up to the other 30% making a complete 100%. However, it’s not easy to get 100% in every course but with effort, you can do better.

First class a CWA of 70.00 and above

Second class upper a CWA of 60.00 to 69.99

Second class lowers a CWA of 50.00 to 59.99

Pass a CWA of 40.00 to 49.99

Anything below 40.00 at the end of all your academic year means that you can’t graduate. It means you have failed that particular program.

Each semester, the number of courses that one can offer differ from at least 3 to 10 and in some much an extent 11, 12 and even 13. However, interestingly a student doing three courses per semester and the one doing eleven per the same semester should all have their credit hours total between 16 to 21 and nothing less or more.

Suppose you have the following courses for year one semester one.

Charles Blessed. BSC. CONSTRUCTION TECH. & MGT.

BT 351 CONCRETE TECHNOLOGY 3

BT 353 ELEMENTARY THEORY OF STRUCTURES 2

BT 355 POST-CONTRACT PLANNING AND CONTROL 2

BT 357 PRODUCTIVITY PROJECT ACCOUNTING AND MARKETING 2

BT 359 CONSTRUCTION PROCUREMENT AND COMMENCE 2

BT 361 CONTRACT LAW AND ARBITRATION 2

BT 363 PROJECT COST MANAGEMENT 2

CTM 351 MEASUREMENT OF CONSTRUCTION WORKS 2 3

CTM 357 DESIGN AND INSTALLATION OF BUILDING SERVICES 2

A student above has a total credit hour of 20 and 9 registered courses. If he is a first year student, then it means his CWA is 100.00 as I said earlier nevertheless, at the end of the semester, after he has participated in all quizzes, tests, mid-semester examination, and end of semester examination and say he got the following totals.

BT 351 CONCRETE TECHNOLOGY 74 A EXCELLENT

BT 353 ELEMENTARY THEORY OF STRUCTURES 71 A EXCELLENT

BT 355 POST-CONTRACT PLANNING AND CONTROL 67 B VERY GOOD

BT 357 PRODUCTIVITY PROJECT ACCOUNTING AND MARKETING 89 A EXCELLENT

BT 359 CONSTRUCTION PROCUREMENT AND COMMENCE 55 C GOOD

BT 361 CONTRACT LAW AND ARBITRATION 47 D AVERAGE

BT 363 PROJECT COST MANAGEMENT 67 B VERY GOOD

CTM 351 MEASUREMENT OF CONSTRUCTION WORKS 2 70 A EXCELLENT

CTM 357 DESIGN AND INSTALLATION OF BUILDING SERVICES 34 E FAIL

What happens now is that the score that he gets for say concrete technology is being multiplied by the credit hours of that course which was 3. Therefore, for concrete technology alone he has 3*74, which equals to 222

On the other hand, the score he had for project cost management, which was 67, is also multiplied by its credit hours 67 giving 2*67, which is, equal to 134.

The same procedure is done for all of them at the end of the multiplication, thus multiplying the scores which came up from the end of semester examination 70% and class quizzes, Mid Sems and the rest 30% by the credit hour of the courses, the totals of all of them is divided by the number of total credit hours. In our example above, the total credit hours were 20. Therefore, it would be

BT 351 CONCRETE TECHNOLOGY 3*74 = 222

BT 353 ELEMENTARY THEORY OF STRUCTURES 2*71 = 142

BT 355 POST-CONTRACT PLANNING AND CONTROL 2*67 = 134

BT 357 PRODUCTIVITY PROJECT ACCOUNTING AND MARKETING 2*89 = 178

BT 359 CONSTRUCTION PROCUREMENT AND COMMENCE 2*55 = 110

BT 361 CONTRACT LAW AND ARBITRATION 2*47 = 94

BT 363 PROJECT COST MANAGEMENT 2*67 = 134

CTM 351 MEASUREMENT OF CONSTRUCTION WORKS 2 3*70 = 210

CTM 357 DESIGNS AND INSTALLATION OF BUILDING SERVICES 2*34 = 68

The above totals to 1292, which is divided by the total credit hours, which for the above was 20

So 1292 divided by 20 equals 64.6 therefore the CWA for Charles Blessed a first year student who just did his first examination is now 64.60 this is his starting point.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s