University of Education Winneba Tanoso
About the campus
COLTEK started as Kumasi Technical Training Centre by the Government of Ghana with technical advice from the British Government in the 1950s. It operated initially as a department of the Kumasi Polytechnic. In 1963 the constructional works for a permanent site started and was completed in early 1966.
Training programmes were transferred from the Kumasi Polytechnic to the present site in September 1966. This resulted in the expansion of activities as well as change of name to Technical Teachers College (TTC) and later metamorphosed to Kumasi Advanced Technical Teachers College (KATTC). The College offered certificate course in education studies as well as courses in specialised areas in Industrial Arts and Commerce.
The College (KATTC) became one of the seven Diploma Awarding Colleges when it was affiliated to the Institute of Education of the University of Cape Coast in 1977. This was in response of the restructuring of Ghana Teacher Education programmes.
Following the educational reforms by the Ghana Government in 1992 by the PNDC Law 322, (1992) which also elevated seven Diploma Awarding Institutions to constitute UCEW, KATTC became Kumasi Campus of UCEW in 1996.
After a decade of tutelage under the University of Cape Coast, the UCEW was granted autonomy status in 2004 by an Act of Parliament, Act
672, to become the University of Education, Winneba. By the same Act, the Kumasi Campus also became known as the College of Technology Education, Kumasi. (COLTEK).
Faculties & Directorates
- Faculty of Business Education
- Faculty of Education and Communication Sciences
- Faculty of Technical Education
- Faculty of Vocational Education
College of Technology Education
P. O. Box 1277
Principal: +233 3220 53602
Reception: +233 3220 50331/53616
Fax: +233 3220 50039