Service, Commitments, and Responsibilities:
The International Student and Scholar Services is a committed advocate for The University of Alabama in Huntsville’s international community and provides a safe and confidential setting where individuals can receive assistance regarding their needs and concerns. Our primary responsibility is to assist F-1 students, UAH sponsored J students and scholars, and individuals sponsored by UAH for employment purposes with the processes required to be enrolled as a student or hired as an employee of UAH.
We recognize the importance of balancing responsibility to the institution; to international students, faculty, and scholars; and to the appropriate government agencies. To that end, we strive to be a liaison between UAH sponsored employees, researchers, and students and a highly complex government bureaucracy.
We ensure the university is SEVIS compliant and that F students and J students and scholars have appropriate information and guidance necessary to maintain their status in the U.S.
Our many services include:
- Supporting international students and scholars with cultural, academic and social concerns to promote success at The University of Alabama in Huntsville.
- Advocating for international students, faculty, and staff and supporting other campus offices to ensure that the needs of the international community are considered when implementing university policies.
- Promoting an increased understanding of the immigration system and multiple immigration classifications of UAH students, scholars, and faculty among the campus community and providing relevant information, guidance, and resources as needed.
- Overseeing the J Exchange Visitor Program, which facilitates the ability of visiting students and scholars to do research or study at UAH.
- Preparing immigration paperwork for foreign national employees who require sponsorship to be eligible to work at UAH.
- Ensuring that the university is compliant with the Department of Labor and USCIS when sponsoring employees to work for UAH.
Student Services Building (SSB) 218
Walk-In Advising Hours
Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday: 1:30PM-4:00PM
To make an appointment outside of the above times, email an advisor with an appointment request.