University of Alabama at Birmingham Nursing
Welcome to the University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB) School of Nursing. Professional nursing continues to be a rewarding lifetime career with many opportunities for advancement. As the challenges and demands in health care intensify, the demand for an educated nursing workforce increases. Since 1950, the UAB School of Nursing has been building on a vision to sustain nursing leadership worldwide.
The UAB School of Nursing is an outstanding choice for pursuing your education as the next step in developing yourself as a nursing leader:
- The University of Alabama at Birmingham is a city campus with rich academic, health, cultural, athletic and recreational resources;
- An innovative interdisciplinary research university and world-renowned academic health center, UAB is ranked fifth in the world for its collaborative science and clinical work in the areas of medicine, nursing, dentistry, health professions, optometry and public health;
- UAB is engaged with the community in discovering and applying the latest research and evidence to promote the highest quality and best clinical care for patients and their families;
- The UAB School of Nursing is ranked 13th in overall graduate programs, among the top 5 percent of nursing schools nationwide, by U.S. News and World Report;
- The UAB School of Nursing is home to a leading research center with funded studies in oncology, pediatrics, minority health, international nursing, HIV/AIDS care, occupational health, and aging and palliative care.
- Registered Nurse to BSN (ADN prepared nurses)
BSN Program Admission Requirements
First-time college students who complete the first two years at UAB, then apply for admission to the School of Nursing for the upper-division nursing curriculum.
- Work with an assigned UAB Advisor through the UAB Advising Office during the first two years at the university.
- Students who complete their prerequisites at UAB are eligible for priority consideration for admission to the upper-division nursing curriculum.
Students who transfer from another university or two-year community college and complete all foundation and prerequisite courses elsewhere, then apply first to UAB and then to the School of Nursing for the upper-division nursing major.
- BSN foundational and general studies courses are the same as those taken by students who complete all course work at UAB.
- Two separate applications are required: one to the university and the second to the School of Nursing.
- Students in this option will be assigned a UAB Advisor who will assist them in determining eligibility for application into the upper-division nursing major.
Second Degree Students
Students who have completed a previous undergraduate degree outside of the nursing discipline and who meet the UAB criteria for regular undergraduate admission.
- Applicants must have at least a baccalaureate degree in a non-nursing major that was earned at an accredited school or university, and the first degree must have been based upon at least 120 semester hours of earned credit.
- Students in this option must first apply to UAB where they are assigned a UAB Advisor who will assist them in determining eligibility for application to the upper-division major.
Current or Potential UAB Students
There is a special-entry program available for students who are currently enrolled or intend to apply for admission to the University of Alabama at Birmingham. The UAB Dean’s Nursing Scholars Program, is directed toward high school seniors who have a minimum GPA of 3.2 and a composite ACT score of 24 or an equivalent composite SAT score. Applicants who meet these criteria may be granted early admission to the upper-division nursing major.
Detailed Admission Instructions and Core Performance Standards
Freshmen, Transfer Students, and Former UAB Students
If you are interested in applying for admission to the School of Nursing you must first be admitted to the university. Click here to apply for admission as an undergraduate, pre-nursing student.
Currently Enrolled UAB Undergraduate Students (Upper Division Pre-Nursing Majors)
Before applying fto the School of Nursing you must meet with your pre-nursing advisor,
RN Mobility Students
If you are interested in applying to the RN Mobility Program, please check with the Program Manager at 205-975-7529 or firstname.lastname@example.org in the UAB School of Nursing Office of Student Affairs prior to applying for general admission to the University.
Nurse Anesthesia (BSN-DNP)
To apply to the DNP-Nurse Anesthesia (Post-BSN to DNP), go to the NursingCAS application available through the UAB Graduate School. CLICK HERE for a detailed application checklist to the DNP – Nurse Anesthesia (Post-BSN to DNP).
MSN – All Specialty Tracks
To apply to the Accelerated Master’s in Nursing Pathways (AMNP) program, go to the ApplyYourself application available through the UAB Graduate School.
DNP – Doctor of Nursing Practice
***For FALL 2017 applicants to Post-MSN to DNP please read the following notice: Applicant Information
PhD – Doctor of Philosophy in Nursing
To apply to the Doctor of Philosophy in Nursing program, go to NursingCAS(www.nursingcas.org), the new site for the PhD application for the UAB School of Nursing. NursingCAS partners with the School to provide an online application to students, collect and process application documents, and verify transcripts on the School’s behalf. The School receives complete and verified information from NursingCAS and is solely responsible for all admission decisions. CLICK HERE for detailed application instructions to the PhD Program.