The UAB MS in Nutrition Sciences, Clinical Track – Dietetic Internship program accepts a total of 25 interns annually. These positions are distributed between the on- and off-campus programs:
- Birmingham: 16 interns
- Mobile: 4 interns
- Montgomery: 3 interns
- Huntsville: 2 interns
The UAB Dietetic Internship participates in the Dietetic Internship Centralized Application System (DICAS) and online computer matching through D&D Digital. Students who are matched to the UAB Dietetic Internship program will then apply to the Graduate School.
To be eligible for the MS in Nutrition Sciences, Clinical Track – Dietetic Internship, a student must have:
- Received a minimum of a baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university in the United States.
- Completed the required curriculum from a ACEND accredited Didactic Program in Dietetics (DPD) and received a Verification Statement or Declaration of Intent Statement.
- A minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale.
- Taken the GRE or MAT within the past 5 years.
- A minimum combined GRE score of 297 (combined verbal and quantitative) and 3.5 on the GRE Writing Assessment Test.
- Or a minimum MAT score of 410.
For international students:
- An expected TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) score of 80 (internet version), 550 (paper version), 213 (computer version).
- Or a minimum score of 6.0 on the IELTS (International English Language Testing System).
- A Financial Affidavit of Support.
In instances where applicants do not meet the principal GPA and/or GRE or MAT requirements for admission, they may be considered for probationary admission.
Students who are competitive for the MS in Nutrition Sciences, Clinical Track – Dietetic Internship have an overall undergraduate GPA of 3.2 and GRE score (verbal + quantitative) of 300. Every part of the DICAS application and the UAB Dietetic Internship Supplemental Application is used in the selection process and is reviewed by a committee composed of program faculty and preceptors.
If you do not qualify for this program, we have a different track that might meet your professional goals, please click here to review the Lifestyle Management and Disease Prevention Track.
Virtual Open House
Watch our video: “UAB MS in Nutrition Sciences, Clinical Track – Dietetic Internship Open House 2016”
February 15, 2017:
- DICAS Application
- D&D Digital Application
- UAB Supplemental Application Form
June 1, 2017:
- UAB Graduate School
Phase 1 – Dietetic Internship
1. Apply for the UAB Dietetic Internship through the Dietetic Internship Centralized Application Services (DICAS) portal.
- DICAS Application Deadline: February 15, 2017
- Send all application materials (except GRE scores) directly to DICAS.
- More information about the DICAS application procedure and fees can be found on the ACEND website.
2. Submit official GRE or MAT scores to the UAB Graduate School
- GRE Institution Code: 1856
- MAT Institution Code: 1017
3. For international students, submit official TOEFL score to UAB Graduate School
- TOEFL Institution code: 1856
- Mail Financial Affidavit of Support (for international applicants only) to:UAB Graduate School LHL G03
1720 2nd Ave South
Birmingham, Al 35294 – 0013
4. Submit the UAB Dietetic Internship Supplemental Application (PDF) to UAB Dietetic Internship Program Director by February 15, 2017.
Carleton Rivers, MS, RDN
Dietetic Internship Program Director
Department of Nutrition Sciences, UAB
1720 2nd Avenue S
Birmingham, AL 35294-3360
5. Apply for computer matching through D&D Digital.
- Application deadline: February 15, 2017.
- Program Codes:
- UAB On-Campus Code: 301
- UAB Off-Campus Code: 442
- Be sure to rank programs in order of preference.
Phase 2 – Graduate School
1. Students who are matched to the UAB Dietetic Internship and accept their position on April 3, 2017 will THEN apply to the UAB Graduate School.
- UAB Graduate School Deadline: June 1, 2017
- Review the MS in Nutrition Sciences Application Checklist
2. By August 1, enrolled students must complete required immunizations, drug screening, and background check.
- UAB Immunization Requirements
- UAB SHP Drug Screening and Background Check Requirements