University of Alabama at Birmingham Genetics Lab
The Department of Genetics is comprised of an interdisciplinary group of faculty focused on performing basic laboratory and clinical research, providing inpatient and outpatient consultation services and offering state-of-the-art genetic diagnostic testing.
We provide genetics education and training to students, health professionals, researchers and the public.
- Medical student preclinical and clinical teaching
- Genetics residency training
- Postdoctoral research
- Graduate education, including Ph.D., M.D./Ph.D. and genetic counseling
- Training in all ABMG specialties (clinical genetics, biochemical genetics, cytogenetics, molecular genetics and molecular genetic pathology)
- Continuing education for health providers
- Public education
We seek to expand knowledge and create new applications through laboratory and clinical research along the continuum from fundamental studies to preclinical investigations, to bench-to bedside translation, to clinical practice and community implementation.
Our goal is to deliver outstanding care for patients and families through integrated clinical and laboratory services. For some conditions, we are considered a national and international referral source.
- Comprehensive prenatal, pediatric, and adult inpatient and outpatient genetic services, including diagnosis, management and counseling
- State-of-the-art laboratory services, including cytogenetics, molecular genetics and biochemical genetics
Department of Genetics Chairman’s Office
The Chairman’s Office is responsible for all administrative and financial operations at the department level. Specific functions of the office include:
- Human resource management
- Budgeting and financial management
- Space planning and equipment/facilities management
- Business development for new services
- Oversight of billings and collections for patient and laboratory services
- Grants management for clinical research projects
- Coordination of educational programs
- Information technology and computer support
|Chairman||Bruce R. Korf, M.D., Ph.D.|
|Administrative Director||James C. Camel, M.P.H.|
|Financial Officer III||Neelima Agarwal|
|Program Director III||Shaila P Handattu, Ph.D., MBA|
|Assistant Professor/IRB Liaison||Ashley Cannon, Ph.D.|
|Administrative Supervisor/ HR||Demetria Blakely-Stoudermire|
|Administrative Associate||Lauren Hicks|
|Program Director II||Renie Moss|
Kaul Human Genetics Building, Suite 230
720 20th Street South
Birmingham, Alabama 35294-0024
Please feel free to contact us with any questions about our department.
For website inquiries, communications, and public relations needs, contact Sara Davies, Communications Specialist, UAB Department of Genetics, at email@example.com or (205) 638-6686.